Jul 20, 2008

What Won't They Do To Get Attention?

So I've been babysitting lately to earn some extra money, and this has been such an enlightening experience. It has shown me that kids will do anything for attention! It's actually comical when you think about it(most of the time at least).

Tonight one of the girls that I keep (she's 3) says that she is throwing up. Now I'm looking right at her and of course there's no puke in sight, she has perfect color in her cheeks, and doesn't look the slightest bit sick.

"You're throwing up?" I asked.

"Yes, I'm throwing up." she answers.

"Where?" I ask her and she points to her belly.

So I say," Oh! Your tummy feels bad. You feel sick!?"

She says,"Yes. Yes. I'm sick." So I tell her that if she's sick, she needs to lie down to sleep. Boy that did it! She jumped up (she had been sitting in a chair) and said she wasn't sick and didn't want to go to sleep.

Amazing! Fake being sick to get attention. The problem was, that when she's here she shares my attention with two others that are younger than her(my son and her sister). Isn't that always the way? If they think someone else is getting attention that they want, they do something - anything - to get the focus back on them. It's just too cute! I guess it normal though. Every child goes through this egocentric stage around this age where they think they're the only person on the planet. They almost always grow out of it by adulthood, and we get some good laughs out of it from their attention getting tactics.

What has you're child done just to get attention?



No comments: