Jul 25, 2008

Cooking Experiment Gone GOOD!

I was cooking dinner a couple of nights ago and had decided to cook green beans as my side dish. I had some canned mushrooms leftover in the fridge from the night before that I needed to use soon, so I figured I’d make kind of a make-shift green bean casserole on the stove. My wheels were turning as I got out butter and flour to make a roux. I used about a tablespoon of each and then added some milk to make the sauce. I was trying to make my own cream of mushroom soup.

Once the sauce had thickened and reduced a little, I stirred in some frozen green beans. * Keep in mind that I don’t usually measure anything out. I just go with an amount that looks right for what I’m trying to accomplish – in this case just 2 servings.

I let my concoction bubble away on medium low heat for a few minutes – to cook the green beans. Next, I added some fresh grated Parmesan cheese and stirred that in until the cheese had melted. At that point my cream of mushroom soup seemed a little more like an Alfredo sauce, but I liked where this was headed so I kept going. I figured, as long as I like all the ingredients I’m putting in here then I’ll be happy with the end result.

Boy was I! I added salt and pepper to taste and served up my creation with a healthy sized topping of more grated Parmesan cheese. It was a success! This stove top casserole was really great, and I am definitely making again very soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for an experiment going right! Some of our favorite meals that we eat all the time started out this way.

Anonymous said...

I do not believe I even own a cookbook, I'm a seat of your pants chef! And also love the green bean mixture. So now I know what to do when I'm missing the soup! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love moments like this when everything just kind of falls into place :) Sounds delicious!