Aug 16, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

Ever since I was six years old, whenever someone said "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I always said that I wanted to own my own day care. All through high school, I geared my elective classes towards ones that would help prepare me for this. Once out of high school, I quickly enrolled in jr. college for early childhood education. While waiting for classes to start, I volunteered in a local day care center to gain experience. Well that was a huge mistake! I hated working in this place. It was nothing like what I had thought a day care would be. My childhood dream was crushed and abandoned.

Looking back on it, I think more than anything I just hated the way this particular center was run. There was little one-on-one interaction, kids were mostly plopped in front of the television to watch the same two or three videos repeatedly, or put outside with only 1-2 adults supervising 15-20 kids. I even saw one child fall and get his knees skinned up pretty badly, but was told not to take him inside to get cleaned up because I'd have to fill out an accident report. Appalling!!

It's amazing how you can come full circle in life, because now I am caring for 2 kids part time in my home. I am also not contemplating getting a license to have my very own home day care thanks to a complete stranger.

If any of you have heard of craigslist, you know it's a site post advertisements for items/services you are selling. One of the categories is childcare. This week someone had been posting information trying to warn parents about the dangers of choosing unlicensed caregivers for their kids. Now, the way this started out was not pretty. This person pretty much implied that anyone that cares for a child and does not have a license would harm or even kill that child. Are you kidding me??!! I took that very offensively. I don't see where a license matters. If you're a bad person, you're just a bad person - license or no license. This person and I had words and a few others told her what they thought of her accusations as well. She quickly changed her wording of things and said that she only wanted to encourage more home day cares to get licensed because she feels that they are better for children since they offer more one-on-one care. She said she wanted to change the way things worked in child care.

After she posted her new and improved view, I spoke with her further about her change of tune. I told her that I had looked into getting licensed but at this point could not afford the cost of certification classes, cpr training, and whatever fee is charged for the actual license. I also mentioned that I have, in fact, passed a DCF background check while trying to foster a child. I wanted her to know that I was serious and wasn't just making up excuses not to move forward.

To my amazement, this perfect stranger offered to pay 1/2 the cost of my classes. I told her that I was very grateful for her offer and would contact the
proper people to get the ball rolling and try to work out finances for
the remaining 1/2.

In a world where people will walk the other way if they see someone in serious trouble, are there really people out there who are still willing to help another human being?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm speechless really. What a lovely thing for someone to do.

capybara said...

That is a really nice story and I hope it all works out well for you

Anonymous said...

That was a really nice story. At least she was willing to back up what she's advocating and not just blowing hot air. A lot of people are quick to point out the problems but aren't willing to be part of the solution. I hope things work out well for you.

Anonymous said...

Thats...My Baby!! Dad loves you Baby and I got the other 1/2.